"The Kapiti Women's Centre gave me back my confidence - it's as simple as that."
Volunteer Centre Workers are vital to the day to day operation of the KWC.
Skills you need to be a Centre Worker
- An active interest in supporting women.
- An ability to develop good listening and rapport building skills.
- A good level of self-awareness.
- Ability to work within a team to support a wide range of women.
If you would like to be part of this team then
- The first step to becoming a volunteer will be to attend a training programme that will develop and prepare you for the tasks ahead. You will be supported throughout the training process.
When you have completed your training you will be asked to
- Take a shift on the reception desk for 3 hours every week.
- While working you will greet all visitors to the Centre, ensuring they feel comfortable and at ease.
- Provide support and services to the women who visit the Centre. This includes taking bookings for courses, pregnancy tests, registering women for counselling, providing information either at the Centre or directing women to other help within the community, providing a listening ear and general support.
- Assist with administration and maintenance to ensure that we provide the best possible service in the best possible environment.
You will also be asked to
- Attend regular Centre Worker meetings and on-going training.
- Participate in Centre activities such as Hui, fundraising, social events.